Resolving "Sparkbooth.exe has encountered a problem"
Make sure you are running the latest version of Sparkbooth. You can download and install the latest version at Sparkbooth downloads page.
If you are running Windows 7 or later, make sure your operating system is up-to-date by running Windows Update. After each update, check Windows Update again until there are no more updates available. On Windows 10 after all updates have been applied, right-click the Sparkbooth icon, select Properties, then the Compatibility tab and check that Windows 7 compatibility as been enabled.
Check if the Logitech Capture software is installed. This software is known to cause Sparkbooth to crash when selecting a webcam. To fix, uninstall the Logitech Capture software. You can install the Camera Settings or Logitech Webcam (works with C910, C920, C922 and Brio) software instead.
On some Windows computers, starting Sparkbooth will result in an error dialog saying "Sparkbooth.exe has encountered a problem". There is an Adobe AIR bug involving the Bluetooth system. To check if this is your issue:
- Does the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Bluetooth\vdpsrc.dll or C:\Program Files\Motorola\Bluetooth\vdpsrc.dll exist on your computer?
- If it does, rename the file vdpsrc.dll to _vdpsrc.dll
- Restart the computer, and see if Sparkbooth is able to start up
Some Windows laptops have built-in webcams with incompatible Adobe AIR/Flash drivers. In this case, you will see the "Sparkbooth.exe has encountered a problem" error when starting Sparkbooth or opening Camera settings. If you have a USB webcam you can use instead, try:
- Install Adobe AIR runtime if it is not already installed
- Install and run Sparkbooth Camera Lock app
- Select the USB webcam from the drop-down list and press the Set button
- Start Sparkbooth and see if this resolves the issue
If the Camera Lock application is crashing, it means there is something on the computer that is preventing Sparkbooth from listing your webcams. You can manually select the webcam without the Camera Lock application.