COM port / Auxiliary relay support

Alex

11 Oct, 2017 01:11 AM

I would love to see some sort of external communication being available so that I could trigger external lighting/sound effects/anything!

You could simple serial signaling on a COM port using wired serial or even serial over bluetooth to trigger an Arduino or something similar;
Dimmer lighting start, music getting dimmed, mood lighting on/off, mechanical curtain closer, a lens ring light being turned on, floor/path lighting turned off, possibilities are endless!

Yes, its a bit of a power user item but you would completely open up the possibilities of things you could do with a booth setup.

It should be super easy to implement in software, essentially make it a send only serial interface, ignore any received data, transmitting basic stuff like "STARTPRESSED, COUNT3, COUNT2, COUNT1, CAPTURE, PRINT, FINISHED" that could be interpreted by an Arduino/PIC and activate triggers/relays.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE implement this :-)

Alex
Australia

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Joe Connell on 11 Oct, 2017 01:24 AM

You do realize it is a PHOTO BOOTH SOFTWARE
    not the Space Shuttle ....

Most of what you are requesting has nothing to do
    with what photo booth software does and the way you
    explain HOW it can be done, sounds to me you are
    an extremely brilliant person and that being said...
    why aren't you creating a software that can do all that you want it to do.

Dimmer lighting start, music getting dimmed, mood lighting on/off,
    mechanical curtain closer, a lens ring light being turned on,
    floor/path lighting turned off,....
    REALLY???

I am sorry but this topic was set to Public replies and
    my reply is not being done as a support member...
    just my personal 2¢

2. 2 Posted by Alex on 11 Oct, 2017 01:52 AM

Look, I know where you are coming from but you have got to innovate with software, it’s the kind of thing where if you don’t stop adding new features you can get left behind. (I’m alluding to some sort of weird photo booth software arms race here )

I’ve looked at various photo booth options for my business and as far as I am concerned you guys nailed it with SparkBooth, its very powerful, the UI is clean and it does the job very well.

You make the software and people put it in their own booths, just look at the forums and the amazing booth setups people have come up with. This would really allow for some amazing next generation features without affecting how people interact with Sparkbooth now. (maybe there is an additional menu option that wasn’t there before with an enable/disable box, a COM port picker and a list of trigger items, that’s it.)

Honestly, if I thought that this request was unreasonable and wouldn’t be used by anyone other than myself I would not have asked, but I think it needs to be taken seriously as people want to make booths that have that “little bit of special” in them so that their users have an awesome time.

Please seriously consider implementing it!

Alex
    Australia

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Joe Connell on 11 Oct, 2017 02:07 AM

Opinions vary and I provided mine...

Maybe others will reply with + thoughts to your suggestion(s)

You do realize that you could create a Script Code
    that can do many of those ideas you suggested.
    Completely out side of the software...

I think what provoked my reply in the first place
    was the part ... mechanical curtain closer,

BTW... do you have the current 5.0 version?
    with features no other software has (that I know of)
    Check out a few in a video I provided
    http://sparkbooth.com/2017/07/whats-new-sparkbooth-5-0/

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac