Using a mini PC?

darrell

17 Feb, 2012 03:19 PM

Has anyone tried using a small 'mini PC' such as Zotac or Dell Studio Hybrid?? I'm looking at reducing the size of the kit I need to take and wondered if Sparkbooth would run okay, with webcamera etc. I'd like to mount the PC etc so it's all wired up permanently and set up is easier and quicker.

Just an idea, but these small machines look pretty good for the size, money and portability. The DELL also has a special splitter cable to allow for two screens, one for Sparkbooth, one for slideshow I'm thinking??

Typical spec for Dell Studio Hybrid 140G:

2GB RAM
Intel Pentium Dual T3200 2.0GHz
HDMI output (plus DVI)
DVD rewriter

Worth a go... or has anyone tried it already - surely it should be able to run okay??

1. 1 Posted by glassesboy04 on 21 Feb, 2012 03:01 AM

Hey Darrell,

I am using a Dell Optiplex 755 Mini PC that I got from my works recycle pile. It works out great for me. I upgraded the video card in it and am able to use two screens. If you need to upgrade your video card just be sure that it is Low Profile Ready which has a smaller bracket that you can use to mount in your Smaller Form Factor PC. Hope that helps.

2. 2 Posted by Tunes on 21 Feb, 2012 03:13 AM

Let me know if this works.....or if I try it before you I will post my results...

3. 3 Posted by Gary Ireland on 21 Feb, 2012 05:57 PM

Hey,

At the moment I am just using my Samsung mini notebook which I close the lid and leave it under the table with monitor on the table you can use Touch Screen monitor now as Jon fixed it which is fantastic, the Samsung is tiny and everything works perfect...But I am upgrading soon and will be all excited.

4. 4 Posted by tubguy on 25 Feb, 2012 02:12 PM

I have been using a Lenovo Q-150 in one of my booths with great success. You will need to address cooling for the small units. I have a 12volt fan blowing into the are intake. My unit is permanently mounted inside custom built cabinet.

5. John Wu closed this discussion on 23 Mar, 2012 07:46 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac