Touch Screen or USB Button Suggestions/advice please!

pictureitphotobooths

26 Sep, 2011 09:22 PM

I currently have a photo booth business running 2 booths: one with the Griffin Powermate button and one with a touchscreen monitor. I am finding both can be finicky. The button seems to be more finicky than the touch screen. It will work for 30-45 minutes then stop responding and we will need to restart the computer for it to work again. The touchscreen works great for the most part, unless the cord wiggles out and then we need to replug and and restart the whole computer.

I am considering using an HP Touchsmart in both booths. My worry is they aren't heavy duty enough. Other than that I can't think of any other cons. It seems like it would streamline the equipment and leave less room for glitches.

I appreciate all your experienced input, please! Thanks,

Lyndsy

www.pictureitphotoboothsutah.com

1. 1 Posted by mick on 26 Sep, 2011 09:38 PM

Hi Lyndsy,

What OS does the one with the Powermate have? If it its XP then it is the drivers for the powermate. Here is a link to fix the drivers: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=92052.0

Follow it to a 'T' and your issue will be fixed. I have some jukeboxes with the Powermate as the volume knob and it worked for 30-40 minutes and at startup it would work maybe 80% of the time. Now with the fix in the link above, 100% startup and have never had an issue since!

Mick

2. 2 Posted by pictureitphotob... on 29 Sep, 2011 02:35 PM

Thanks Mick-

It's Windows 7 but I definitely think fixing the drivers would be a great idea. What you described in the second paragraph explains it so accurately. I will let you know what I find.

Lyndsy

3. 3 Posted by mick on 29 Sep, 2011 08:07 PM

Hi Lyndsy,

The fix should be the same for Win7 as is for XP. I had to fix my Powermate on a Vista machine and Win7 is a polished Vista. Follow the instruction in the link in the first post and it should work everytime.

Mick

P.S. Dont get lost on that other site because you can spend days looking at the DIY stuff people build!

4. 4 Posted by brian on 30 Sep, 2011 05:48 PM

Just to add..we are still firm believers in the stealth switch 2.Especially now that sparkbooth is offering more user options. One device can produce up to 5 different functions on one usb plug and there is no software required to run on the os. All macros and keystrokes are stored in the device itself. http://www.stealthswitch2.com/what-is-the-stealthswitch-ii/

5. 5 Posted by pictureitphotob... on 01 Oct, 2011 02:03 AM

Mick-
    Thanks I did the fix. We will see how the Griffin Powermate Button works tomorrow at our event & Bridal Fair.

Thanks so much for your help. That site is so helpful.

Hi Brian!
    I checked out the link to the stealthswitch 2. It looks amazing. I am curious, how do you attach it to your booth? Do you have it on the floor? The price is great too.

~Lyndsy www.pictureitphotoboothsutah.com

6. 6 Posted by mick on 01 Oct, 2011 04:44 PM

Hi Lyndsy,

The Griffin Powermate (as alot of their products are) was initially made for MAC and not alot was put into Windows developement. Fortunately, some of us DIY'ers found a fix and to this day, my Powermate is 100% on my jukeboxes. I currently use a Powermate on my photobooth just for cancelling the session.

Have a good wedding photobooth session and cross your fingers for no errors!

Mick

7. 7 Posted by Darrell on 04 Oct, 2011 09:42 PM

I bought an arcade button, stripped an old USB keyboard and found the two wires to connect to the switch. Works like a treat. cost about £4.

8. 8 Posted by brian on 05 Oct, 2011 02:14 AM

Lyndsy,
    The button itself is not seen by the user. arcade buttons are wired to the 4 other outlets on the ss2.

9. John Wu closed this discussion on 27 Feb, 2012 01:18 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac